Have you ever wondered what is High Cholesterol diet? And What Treatment and Preventive Measures. do I need to follow when I have this problem?
Here you will learn about its Causes, Symptoms, Diet, Types, and Cholesterol Levels.
Beginning of High Cholesterol Problems?
We all live in a world where there is n no. of diseases which we even don’t know but they exist.
This is the need of this time that we all have to take care of ourselves from such diseases.
Our health should be our very first priority than anything else.
The best way to keep yourself healthy is to improve your daily lifestyle by eating and drinking healthy.
Nowadays, everyone is living a very chaotic life, where they don’t spend much time with their families,
Also, they forget to take care of their health and eat anything without considering their health which increases their cholesterol level and sugar level in their body.
People don’t even know how dangerous this can be.
Nowadays even children are also having such a dangerous disease which stays with them for their whole life.
So, it is the need of this scenario that we should take care of our health.
What is High Cholesterol and its Diet?
Cholesterol is an oil-based substance that doesn’t mix with the blood. It is carried in the blood by proteins and also it is produced by the body itself.
Cholesterol is something that a human body needs but in a very appropriate amount neither too high nor too low.
Because if you have either high or low you are subjected to a high risk of diseases.
Our body can itself produce the amount of cholesterol we need.
Cholesterol is important in the human body as it helps in producing vitamin D, hormones, and digesting foods as a High Cholesterol Diet.
It helps the body to produce certain hormones.
It is found in dairy products; also it is found in animal sources like eggs, cheese, and meat and in oily or fatty food.
Cholesterol is a kind of slow poison for your blood arteries, if not controlled on time it can block your blood arteries and can become the cause of your death.
Even though your body needs cholesterol to work properly,
But the liver is the body produces about three-quarters of cholesterol which is enough and the rest comes from what you eat.
Cholesterol has a positive as well as a negative impact on your body but there are more chances that it affects your body in the wrong way.
High Cholesterol Relationship with Obesity?
The person can also suffer from hypertension which can lead him to depression and also can become the major cause of stroke.
Not only blood pressure but, if a person is having high cholesterol he/she can become overweight with poor diet easily,
So at this time what High Cholesterol Diet we are eating is also very important.
Also one can suffer from obesity, also from type – 2 diabetes, sleep apnoea, and many more diseases.
How can it be Diagnosed?
Cholesterol can be checked by the blood test.
The blood test which tells the amount of cholesterol in the body is named as a lipid panel.
There are some precautions that a person needs to do for the test.
For taking a blood test for a lipid panel, the doctor asks the patient to not eat or drink anything for 12 hours before the samples get collected for the blood test.
What is the Prevention Strategy for High Cholesterol with Diet Tips?
There are various ways; a person can get prevented from having high cholesterol by eating healthy Diet.
There is a very important and urgent need to take prevention from having high cholesterol so as to save the person from having such harmful heart diseases,
This can also be done by eating healthy foods.
If a person is having a heart attack he/she may have tightness, squeezing, fullness, pain, or aching in the chest or arms, difficulty in breathing, anxiety, or a feeling of impending doom, dizziness, nausea, indigestion, or heartburn, excessive fatigue.
A person can get prevented from cholesterol in many ways
1. Natural Method-
There are some medically proven foods that you can eat healthy foods for the prevention of high cholesterol
These foods include Flaxseeds, Fish with omega-3 fatty acids, Garlic, Red yeast rice, Astragalus, and Hawthorn.
These are some herbs and shrubs which are given by nature and are very healthy and effective for the prevention of this disease.
2. Medicinal Method-
By taking proper medications which include statin can lower the amount of cholesterol in the body,
But this method is not very healthy as medicines also have side effects.
3. Eating Healthy Diet when you have High Cholesterol-
Eating healthy food can lower the level of cholesterol in the body.
Also, healthy food doesn’t include fatty and oily substances in it which are the main cause of having high cholesterol levels in the body.
4.Regular Exercise with proper Diet for High Cholesterol –
exercise is the only thing which can save any person from any disease.
By exercising a person can reduce the amount of fat that is collected in the body.
5. Avoiding Smoking and Drinking-
Smoking and drinking are injurious to health in every way.
By avoiding, smoking and drinking a person not only save himself/herself from high cholesterol but also from many other harmful diseases like cancer.
6. By not Getting Overweight-
Getting overweight means collecting fat in the body which automatically will increase the triglycerides and fat in the body which will increase the cholesterol level.
So, it is very important for a person to, not become overweight, not only for the prevention of high cholesterol but also form many other diseases.
What is the Effect of High Cholesterol and how is it related to Diet?
There are many reasons which can become the main causes of cholesterol.
Nowadays, people eat more fast food than homemade food, which leads them to have obesity or excess weight.
Eating habits play a very important role in the human body.
Your eating habits can make you a very healthy person and if you eat fast food and oily food more often,
However, that will start deteriorating your body slowly with gradual time.
Not only for cholesterol but eating habits is one of the main causes of many other harmful diseases.
Because of this oily fast food, the fat and extra cholesterol get collected in the body which lowers the storing capacity of HDL or good cholesterol.
Not only by eating fatty or oily food but if a person has some family history in some diseases like cholesterol
However, there are many no. of chances that a person can have high cholesterol. It is genitival and many times is due to bad food choices.
Other than heredity or having fatty food, smoking, can also be a reason for this problem,
Because it lowers the amount of High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) which is good cholesterol.
Lack of exercise can increase the level of Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol because exercise helps to boost High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol.
What is the Effect of Diabetes when you have High Cholesterol?
Diabetes increases the sugar level in blood which adds in the higher level of dangerous cholesterol to form Very Low-Density Lipoprotein (VLDL) and Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL).
Diabetes is very dangerous for the human body because it even destroys the blood lining of the arteries which directly affects the flow of blood.
Here is the link to the diabetes diet plan which you can easily follow with your busy schedule.
With the passing time the body becomes weaker by itself, the body organs start getting weaker with age.
Organs like liver that produce cholesterol in the human body become weaker,
Hence, they are not able to remove the Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol.
What is the Effect of Thyroid when you have High Cholesterol?
The thyroid can also increase the amount of cholesterol in the human body.
Though thyroid needs hormones in the body to produce cholesterol and also to remove it if there is no need for cholesterol.
When thyroid hormone levels are low (hypothyroidism), the body doesn’t break down and remove, Low-Density Lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol as efficiently as usual.
Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol can then build up in your blood.
These days even kids are having high cholesterol, there is a reason behind it which is a lack of physical activity and bad food choice.
Not only the elders but the children have also stopped playing physical activities, they just play their video games rather than going out and playing.
These habits of not doing any physical activities like exercise, playing, or work out increases the amount of cholesterol in the body.
When we don’t do any physical activity the fat inside our body doesn’t burn up rather it just gets collected inside the body.
However, making triglycerides and harmful fat which increase the level of cholesterol.
Though exercising is important but if you don’t eat healthy food how can your body will be healthy.
Nowadays days everyone wants to eat fast food, oily food but no one wants to eat homemade food which is very healthy
Because nowadays healthy food considered to be as boring or tasteless food.
But that outside food is very harmful as they use the bad quality of oils and other materials which are very unhealthy for the body
And thus they increase the amount of cholesterol at a very rapid rate because they increase the amount of fat in the body.
What is the Effect of Alcohol in your Diet when you have High Cholesterol?
Today’s generation thinks drinking and smoking make them cool among their friends, but they don’t know the reality behind it.
These alcohols and smoking are very dangerous for any person of any age group.
They slowly eat up the body of the person from inside and they make them weaker.
So that their body is not able to cope up and battle with the diseases.
Hence people who consume alcohol and smoking suffer from a very dangerous type of diseases like high cholesterol, high blood sugar level, cancer, brain tumor, and many more.
It is very important for any person to look after what they eat and what they drink otherwise these habits can even become the cause of their death.
What Diet is Responsible for High Cholesterol Levels?
There are some foods that are very harmful to people having high cholesterol.
Foods that contain saturated (unhealthy) fats are more likely to increase the rate of cholesterol in the body.
Some foods which increase the amount of cholesterol in your body are as follows:-
- red meat or fatty cuts of meat
- full-fat dairy products such as cheese, cream, yogurt, and milk.
- hydrogenated oils
- baked goods
- Deep-fried fast foods.
- Processed foods such as biscuits and pastries.
- Takeaway foods such as hamburgers and pizza.
- Coconut oil.
Which Diet is Heavy to Eat when You Have High Cholesterol?
There are some foods that will help a person to live a healthy and cholesterol-free life.
These foods not only protects the person from cholesterol but also helps his/her body in gaining proper nutrition and minerals
Having proper nutrition and minerals are the basic requirement of the body, which in the present scenario is very difficult to maintain.
A person having cholesterol should not eat dairy foods like milk, eggs, fish, and yogurt,
Because they have fats in it but because of cholesterol, the person is not able to consume the nutrients and minerals which these dairy products have.
There are some foods that can fulfill all the requirements of nutrients that a person having cholesterol lacks.
A person can fulfill the need for that nutrient by eating below food:-
- Green vegetables
- Wholegrain bread, cereal, pasta, rice, and noodles.
- Snack on plain, unsalted nuts
- Fresh fruits
- Spreads and margarine made from canola, sunflower, or olive oil, instead of butter.
- Select lean meat (meat trimmed of fat, and poultry without skin).
- Choose reduced-fat, low-fat or no-fat milk, yogurt, or calcium-added non-dairy food and drinks.
- Limit processed meats including sausages and deli meats, such as salami.
- Select lean meat (meat trimmed of fat, and poultry without skin).
- Choose reduced-fat, low-fat or no-fat milk, yogurt, or calcium-added non-dairy food and drinks.
- Limit processed meats including sausages and deli meats, such as salami.
Some other effects of High Cholesterol Diet in your body?
Though cholesterol is needed in a human body, but in a very specific amount.
Having high cholesterol can increase the risk of n no. of diseases in the body. And most of those diseases are related to the heart so eating good food does the deed for you to soothe this issue.
A person having high cholesterol has more chances of having heart stroke, coronary artery (heart) disease, peripheral arterial disease (PAD), heart attack, and many more.
A person having Heart diseases can have symptoms like chest pain, nausea, extreme fatigue, and shortness of breath.
Since, plaques are formed inside the arteries because of which there is a disturbance in the flow of blood
sometimes there can be the blockage in the blood arteries as well, as they form clots when they break down in the arteries,
There are some symptoms which a person who can have a heart stroke shows, like a person might feel dizziness, he/she may lose balance
Sometimes, also they can have a lot of confusion about even any small thing,
They can also have numbness in their (hands, palms, arms, and legs), blurred vision, these are some symptoms that a patient of a heart stroke has.
With gradual time these plaques can make the blood artery which pumps the blood from heart to the body hard and narrow.
So that there is very little passage for the blood to flow, resulting in the person can have a heart attack.
But in a heart attack, there are no symptoms that a human body shows before the time of heart attack.
In a heart attack, the heart of the body start to get damaged with time and some part of it begins to die because of lack of oxygen.
Types of High Cholesterol
There are three types of cholesterol that are there and they impact your body in a very different way.
1. HDL – High-Density Lipoprotein which is also known as good cholesterol.
2. LDL – Low-Density Lipoprotein which is also known as the bad cholesterol.
3. VLDL – Very Low-Density Lipoprotein which is also bad cholesterol.
What is LDL when you have High Cholesterol?
LDL –Low-Density Lipoprotein is known to be as bad cholesterol,
Because it gets collected in the walls of the blood vessels and hence increasing the risk of heart diseases like heart strokes or heart attack.
Also, it transfers cholesterol from the liver to your peripheral tissues.
Food choice plays a vital role in maintaining LDL when you have high cholesterol.
What is HDL when you have High Cholesterol?
High-Density Lipoprotein is known to be good cholesterol
Because it takes Low-Density Lipoprotein to your liver where they are flushed out of your body
Hence, decreasing the risk of heart diseases like heart strokes or heart attack.
These HDL removes extra cholesterol from the peripheral cells and keeps your body healthy.
What is VLDL when you have High Cholesterol?
VLDL – Very Low-Density Lipoprotein is also known to be as bad cholesterol but it is different from Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL)
Because Low-Density Lipoprotein leaves cholesterol in your arteries whereas very Low-Density Lipoprotein leaves triglycerides in your blood arteries.
What are Triglycerides?
Triglycerides are one of a type of fat that is directly related to cholesterol.
These are the fat which we receive from oily or fatty foods like cheese, fast foods, butter, and other different oils that we consume from our diet in our daily lives.
These are the extra calories that you take in the form of food but that is not consumed by your body right away, hence causing High Cholesterol.
The calories that we consume are converted into triglycerides and then they are stored in the fat cells by our body.
There is a time when your body needs energy, at that time your body itself releases triglyceride which gives you energy but they leave a very negative impact on your body.
When the work of triglycerides is done there are still some triglycerides that are left inside your body.
And those triglycerides are then taken to your blood tissues or your blood arteries by these very-low-density lipoproteins (VDVL).
This triglyceride after going in your arteries and tissues blocks them and thus they can become the reason for a person having a heart stroke or heart attack.
Factors Responsible for Increasing Triglycerides:-
There are a lot of factors that are responsible for increasing no. of triglycerides in your body. They are as following:-
- Obesity makes you overweight, hence increasing the amount of fat in your body.
- Smoking cigarettes can block your arteries directly.
- Use of an excessive amount of alcohol.
- Having any liver disease
- Having any kidney related or any artery related disease
- Side effects of some medicines which can increase the amount of fat in your body.
- Excessive intake of oily or fatty food.
- Lack of physical activities.
These are just some of the factors; there are still a lot of factors that can increase the no. of triglycerides in your body at a very fast rate.
All the risk factors for any disease not only cholesterol, but they all also depend on the way you live your lifestyle.
If any person doesn’t improve their lifestyle he/she can increase the no. of chances to have serious diseases in their lives.
Appropriate Levels or Ranges of Cholesterol required in the Body –
In adults, the total cholesterol level should be less than 200 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl).
A reading between 200 and 239 mg/dl is borderline high.
A reading of 240 mg/dl and above is considered high.
For Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels- it should be less than 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl).
- For healthy people who don’t have any disease- 100–129 mg/dl
- 130—159 mg/dl – borderline high.
- 160–189 mg/dl- high.
- 190 mg/dl or higher – very high.
High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) levels should be kept higher- the High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) level should be 60 mg/dl or higher.
• For people having cholesterol level less than 40 mg/dl can have a major risk factor for heart disease.
• A person having an HDL level between 41 mg/dl to 59 mg/dl is borderline low.
What are the Symptoms of High Cholesterol with Diet Options-
There are no such particular symptoms one can analyze by just seeing or touching when we talk about cholesterol,
But other diseases might have symptoms that can be seen as well as can be touched.
High cholesterol does not have any symptoms but people may experience a heart attack, peripheral artery disease, or stroke.
However, if a person is having high cholesterol, some of his/her extra cholesterol may store in the arteries which carry blood from the heart to the rest of the body. Also what food should I eat?
Hence, resulting to form plaque inside the arteries which after some time will make the arteries hard and narrow.
Thus, the circulation of blood will not take place properly.
And if not cured on time the plaque will block the arteries completely, which can cause brain stroke and heart stroke.
Also, if the cholesterol plaque broke down in arteries, they will form the blood clots, which will block the complete flow of blood in the human body.
The amount of cholesterol in your body can be checked by the normal blood tests.
If a person is having high cholesterol he/she is more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, hence having the knowledge on what food to eat plays a vital role.
Because, when the fat gets collected in the artery, then because of the disturbance inflow of blood in the body, the blood pressure starts increasing.
Hence, it can create a problem for the person because an increase in blood pressure can affect his/her mood,
What is Lipid Profile?
Lipid profile or lipid panel is a panel of blood tests that serves as an initial screening tool for abnormalities in lipids like blood, such as cholesterol and triglycerides in the body.
A lipid panel is a test that can check if a person is having some genetic disease, some cardiovascular disease, a certain form of pancreatitis, and many other diseases.
Lipid panel test checks the amount of,
- Total cholesterol
Types of Lipid Panel Tests?
For measuring the amount of these different types of cholesterol there are seven other different types of lipid panel tests which are there as follows,
- Total lipids
- Serum total cholesterol
- Serum HDL cholesterol
- Total cholesterol/HDL cholesterol ratio
- Serum triglycerides
- Serum Phospholipids
- Electrophoretic fractionation to determine the percentage of
In the blood test, the sample of blood is taken, and then it is analyzed. After analyzing the level of HDL and LDL is checked or measured.
Some laboratories may not ask the patient to do fasting before the test,
But those reports still give the exact value of the different types of cholesterols in the body.
Earlier, doctors used to ask for fasting for 9 to 12 hours before the test.
Because the low-density lipoproteins (LDL) and triglycerides may also get affected by what a person has recently eaten.
Nowadays, doctors don’t ask for fasting for 9 to 12 hours before the test,
According to the new guidelines published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, they say that people who aren’t taking statins (any drug or medicine which lowers the amount of cholesterol in the body) may not need to fast before having their blood tested for cholesterol levels.
The test only takes a couple of minutes and is almost painless,
But still, a person can have soreness and some tiny bruises on the arm, around the injection site.
The result of the test is declared within a week or a few days.
There is no benefit of regretting things that are now out of your control if you have ignored them when they were under control.
Cholesterol is just like that if you will ignore it today you will regret it later.
If you won’t control it now you can even put your coming generations in danger too as it is a genitival disease as well.
If you will keep your cholesterol level in control that simply means you are keeping your heart happy and healthy as well, which will keep you and your family happy.
In this present era if there are many of diseases then there are many precautions
And their cure as well which you should take care of for protecting yourself and your family from these harmful diseases.
However, for saving yourself from having high cholesterol, all you have to do is eat healthy food, exercise daily,
Keep yourself away from bad habits like smoking and drinking, and most importantly by not getting overweight. After all,
“EVERY HUMAN BEING IS THE AUTHOR OF HIS OWN HEALTH”
You May Also Like
- 1200 Calorie Diet for Weight Loss – Guidelines and Preventive Measures
- Benefits of Ginger – 42 Healthy Ways to Use this Herb
- Calories for Weight Loss with Calorie Calculator
- Benefits of Intermittent Fasting – Beginners Guide
- Benefits of Keto Diet – 21 Amazing Ways
- 16/8 Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss
- Benefits of Water Fasting – The Cheapest Weight Loss Program
- Diabetes diet for Type 2 – Foods to Eat & Foods to Avoid
- 1200 Calorie Diet Plan to Lose Weight
- Diabetes Diet Plan – The Healthy Way of Living
- 1600 Calorie Diet Plan for Weight Loss
- Diet for Liver Cirrhosis with Signs, Prevention and Treatment
- Diet for Liver Health and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver
- Acid Reflux Diet and Foods to Avoid to Get Permanent Relief
- Diet for Parkinsons Disease – Food Habits, Causes, and Prevention Tips
- Diet for PCOS – Foods to Eat and Avoid for Better Health
- Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar – 67 Amazing Ways
- Diet for Prediabetes – Guidelines and Precautions
- Diet for Pregnancy and Back Pain Relief Guide
- Diabetes Diet for Weight Loss Goals
- Diet for Type 1 Diabetes with Treatment Options and Preventions
- Diet for Weight Gain – Healthy and Effective Ways
- Diabetes Diet Planner – Guidelines and Meal Plans
- Diet for Weight Loss – Guidelines and Precautions
- Does Intermittent Fasting Work to Boost Immunity?
- Diet in Thyroid – What to Eat and What not to Eat
- Diet Plan for Diabetes – Guide, Food Lists, and Precautions
- Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help with Weight Loss?
- Diet to Lose Weight – Tips and Precautions
- Diet with Apple Cider Vinegar – Benefits, Right Methods, and Risk Factors
And Also You May Like
- Easy Ways for Weight Loss – The Best Diets
- Fruits for Keto Diet – 31 Nutrition Rich & Low Carb Options
- Gestational Diabetes Diet with Causes, Risk Factor, Symptoms, and Tips
- Ginger Tea Benefits – Why Is It Good For You?
- High Cholesterol Diet, Treatment and Prevention
- Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis
- Home Remedies for Yeast Infection
- How Does the Keto Diet Works – The Beginners Guide
- How to Get Rid of Lower Belly Fat
- Hypothyroidism Diet – Guide and Prevention Strategies
- Intermittent Fasting for Beginners – Benefits, Methods, Side Effects
- Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss
- Side Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
- Intermittent Fasting for Women and its Health Benefits
- Intermittent Fasting with Keto Diet
- Is a Keto Diet Healthy for Weight Loss
- Is a Vegan Diet Healthy Alternative?
- Intermittent Fasting Weight Loss Diet – 6 Different Types
- Is Intermittent Fasting Healthy for you
- Is the keto diet safe?
- No Carb Diet: Benefits, Instructions, and Demerits
- Remedies for Headache and Prevention Tips
- Side Effects of Diabetes and Prevention Tips
- Side Effects of Sleep Deprivation with Prevention Tips
- Recipes for Diabetes Diet – Guidelines and Preventive Measures
- Side Effects of the Keto Diet with Prevention Tips
- Sleep and Weight Loss – How They are Related?
- Sleeping Benefits for Health – 20 Effective Advantages
- Strength Training for Runners – The Ultimate Guide
- The Egg Diet for Weight Loss – Guidelines and Drawbacks
- Tips for Intermittent Fasting in Weight Loss
- Tips in Weight Loss – The Ultimate Guide
- Types of Diet – Advantages and Drawbacks
- Vegan Diet For Weight Loss and Overall Immunity
- Water Fasting for Weight Loss – Benefits, Diet Plan and its Side Effects
- Weight Loss Meal Plan with Veg and Non-Veg Options
- Weight Loss with Calories Count- 17 Easy Way
- What is Keto Flu and How long Does it Last?
- What to eat on a Keto Diet for Optimum Health