Do you have headache often? Here you will learn about the Remedies for Headache and Prevention Tips as an Ultimate Guide.
Rising in the morning with a pounding headache is one of the most unpleasant experiences one can go through.
Starting a day with such a dull pulsating pain in your head is hardly the way anyone would want to start their day.
Yet it is not at all unusual and uncommon as it is experienced by at least 1 in 13 people.
People with sleep disorders are more likely to face this issue as a concurrent one.
Let’s understand why your head gives that pain in the morning
Remedies for Headache on Waking Up
The Remedies for Headachefor each cause is different as the headache could be a symptom of the minor or major underlying disease
But a person could follow this general Remedies for Headache is non-chronic.
1. Cold Packs as Remedies for Headache –
Cold packs work wonders for relieving the pain.
If you have a headache keep an ice pack or a towel filled with ice or a packet of the frozen items on your forehead for 15 minutes.
You can take a cold shower as well it will provide you with relief.
2. Dim the Lights as Remedies for Headache–
Bright lights even from the screen (laptop or mobiles) can trigger headaches.
Reducing the brightness of the screen helps in reducing the pain.
Besides blackout curtains, using sunglasses can come to aid to avoid such headaches.
3. Hot Compress as Remedies for Headache–
Hot compress is as beneficial as the cold packs. They are especially helpful in case of tension headaches and sinus headaches.
Placing a hot pad on the back of your head or neck helps in easing the pain caused by a sinus headache.
Taking a hot shower also helps in reducing pain.
4. Massage your Head as Remedies for Headache–
Massage is one thing that can reduce any type of pain. A few minutes of self-massage or massage from someone else can help reduce the pain.
Massaging your head and temples will help release the pain caused due to stress. A good champion can even do the needful.
5. Practice Yoga as Remedies for Headache–
Yoga and stretching and learning how to relax helps you to relax in the middle of a headache and eases out the pain.
6. Limit Alcohol as Remedies for Headache–
Reducing the intake of alcohol helps you to have a night of better sleep and wake up fresh the next day.
If you are someone who is a regular drinker you might be benefited by reducing or at least limiting the alcohol consumption to occasional treats.
7. Eat Something as Remedies for Headache–
Having a good sleep of 7-8 hours is good but if you had gone to bed empty stomach you might wake up with a pounding headache.
This is especially true for diabetics as they sometimes wakeup with hypoglycemic headaches.
Even if you are not diabetic you might experience an early morning headache if you have gone to bed hungry.
So having a nutritious breakfast can come handy.
8. Hydrate as Remedies for Headache–
If you haven’t hydrated your body properly the day before you might wake up with a headache due to dehydration.
So the key here is to have a proper hydrating drink on waking up and having at least eight ounces of water throughout the day.
As if you take too much water at once your body could not properly utilize the amount and it would remain dehydrated.
9. Walk it away as Remedies for Headache–
It is rightly said that all problems are solved if we walk it away.
Similarly, you can be relieved from headache on waking up by a good walk.
So when the next time you wake up to a pain in your head, Take out your walking shoes lace them up and head out for a walk.
As exercise promotes the release of endorphin which helps reduce the sensation of pain.
It’s even better if you take someone along with you and empty your head by saying everything out and getting relaxed.
10. Smelling Lavender as Remedies for Headache–
Studies have shown that the smell of lavender helps to ease out headaches.
So the next time when you suffer from headaches a whiff of lavender essential oil will help you to get rid of the morning headache.
You can even apply lavender oil to the back of your neck, temples, and wrist to do away with the headache.
11. Meditate as Remedies for Headache–
Meditation has been the philosophy since ancient India. It not only helps to reduce stress but also ease morning headaches.
As meditation promotes effective heart rate variability and resiliency.
To start with sit or lie down in a comfortable position, close your eyes, concentrate on your breath.
And let go of any thoughts that come and try focusing and staying in the present moment.
You can even try guided meditations or just try meditating with soothing background music. It will help you to get fresh.
The more you practice meditation the better you will be able to quiet your mind and focus in the present and relax.
12. Have a hot cup of tea or coffee-
Tea is the solution to every problem.
Having a hot cup of tea or coffee especially for people who are habituated to having it helps get rid of a morning headache.
So if you are a person who has a habit of drinking your tea or a coffee at a particular time.
During weekdays in the office, you might experience a headache at the weekends if you miss having it.
So drink that cup of tea or coffee or the caffeine-infused drink and you might feel better.
13. Ginger as Remedies for Headache–
Ginger has proved to be an effective remedy for headaches
And can be used as one for morning Remedies for Headache.
Studies have shown that ginger has proved to be as effective as the normal over the counter medicines for treating headaches.
Strain it into the teacup and sip it for relief. You can even use ginger tea bags for them.
14. Sleep Therapy as Remedies for Headache–
When you wake up with morning headaches consider checking your sleep routine and habits.
As when you do not have a proper sleep you might wake up with headaches.
Getting proper sleep of 7-8 hours is of utmost importance is by far the amongst the best Remedies for Headache.
But if your sleep routine is disturbed to try improving it by adopting good sleeping habits such as sleeping and getting up at a consistent time daily.
Making your room sleep conducive, switching off your devices 60 minutes prior to sleeping, etc
Can help in better sleep and thus reducing the issue of morning headaches.
These are general steps to treating a headache which would provide immediate relief.
But if the pain persists you should consult a doctor.
Sleep Apnea as a Remedies for Headache on Waking Up-
Morning headaches are a common symptom of sleep apnea.
Almost 20% of people suffering from sleep apnea wake up to throbbing pain in their heads and it rises if they have other sleep disorders.
It especially happens in the case of untreated obstructive sleep apnea.
The sleep apnea headache occurs almost daily.
The person suffering might experience a dull pain over their eyebrows which might move to the entire head.
It lasts for an hour or two after waking up.
Sleep Apnea Related to Remedies for Headache-
The most effective cure to treat headache related to sleep apnea is treating the sleep apnea.
The headache in sleep apnea occurs because the brain does not get proper oxygen supply,
During sleep which results in the enlarging of blood vessels which causes headaches.
So by treating sleep apnea, we can treat all the underlying symptoms including morning headache.
The most commonly used Remedies for Headache for sleep apnea is continuous positive airway (CPAP) machine.
Here the patient wears a mask while sleeping which is connected to a pumping device that pumps air in the mask and helps keep the airway open.
3. Migraine from Headache on Waking Up–
Migraine is one of the most common causes of headaches.
The early hours of the morning are a common time of migraine attacks. Most cases of migraines occur between 4 am to 9 am.
If one wakes up with a hammering headache with a nauseatic feeling or vomiting it may indicate a migraine attack.
Most people facing migraine issues complain of having an ache in half part of their heads.
There can be several potential causes of a migraine attack which includes-
1. Remedies for Headache due to varying Sleep Pattern-
Your sleep pattern is the most important determinant of how likely you are to experience a migraine.
It is an estimate that at least 50% of people who suffer from migraines have a problem of insomnia.
2. Remedies for Headache due to Hereditary issue-
Your genes could be blamed for your migraine attacks.
This means that if someone in your family suffers from migraines there are high chances that you will have them too.
It is a possibility that the same triggers of migraines could be faced by family members suffering from it.
3. Hormones and medicines–
In the morning hours, the natural pain-relieving hormone endorphins are at the lowest levels which might be the time when the pain feels most severe.
It is also that time of the day when any pain killer or stimulant effect has worn off and that is why you might have a severe headache.
4. Remedies for Headache due to Dehydration-
Almost one-third of the people suffering from migraines have a trigger of dehydration.
During sleeping, there is no or a very limited water intake so waking up dehydrated could cause a trigger of migraine.
Symptoms experienced during a migraine-
- Food cravings
- A feeling of pins and needles in hands and legs
- Affected vision
- Pain on one side of the head
- Sensitivity to light
If you regularly wake up to headaches that you suspect as migraine attacks then note down the symptoms you are experiencing and track the frequency of their occurrence.
If it happens more than once a month you should consult a doctor.
Besides one can follow following home remedies to reduce the migraine-
- Gentle exercises like yoga and meditation.
- Stress management and reduction techniques.
- Warm showers and baths.
4. Headache on Waking Up due to Over Medication.-
Medication overuse headaches also known as rebound headaches are occurred
Due to long-term use of medication to treat headaches, such as migraines.
If you are prone to regular headaches any medicine taken for pain relief can cause rebound headaches.
Medication overuse headaches generally stop when you stop taking medicines.
It is generally a tough thing to do in the short-term but your doctor could help you to cope up with it.
5. Remedies for Headache due to Hypoglycemia or Low Blood Sugar–
Generally, diabetic patients may face hypoglycemia or low blood sugar triggered headache which may feel like a migraine
But vanish away quickly when you have something especially food which is glucose dense.
If you face the problem of this type of headaches frequently you should consider seeing a doctor as it may be a result of undiagnosed hypoglycemia.
People with a history of diabetes should take a blood glucose test to confirm the pain is due to hypoglycemia as it can be a sign of nocturnal hypoglycemia.
As the blood glucose reaches a normal level the pain in the head reduces.
6. Remedies for Headache due to Brain Tumor-
Headaches are a very common ailment normally does not hint towards anything serious.
But if the headaches are very much hurting and recurring this could hint towards serious underlying ailment which may include a brain tumor.
Almost 5 people in 1,00,000 are diagnosed with a primary brain tumor every year.
The headache in brain tumors normally is in conjunction with other neurological problems like a seizure, speech problems which may lead to its diagnosis.
Every patient experiences unique pain but headaches associated with tumors are a common symptom and they are worse at night or early morning.
They generally are described as a dull pain but some of them might experience a throbbing ache in their head.
The headache associated with brain tumors can be treated by over-the-counter medicine
But over time the body stops responding to such medicines and becomes resistant to medication.
Generally, the vast variety of headaches are self-resolving and do not indicate serious conditions.
But if you experience headaches that are different from your normal pattern you should consult your doctor.
Besides if your headache is in conjunction with these symptoms
- Trouble staying focused
- Nausea/ Vomiting
- Problem with speech
- Vision problem
- Swelling around eyes
This prompts towards considering the earliest visit to a doctor or a neurologist.
7. Insomnia and Remedies for Headache-
Insomnia is basically a sleep disorder in which there is difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep for a longer time.
It affects the sleeping pattern and leads to sleep deprivation.
Insomnia results in poor sleep quality and in turn giving rise to waking up with an ache in the head.
Insomnia affects the day time functions which results in fatigue, poor attention, and concentration, and loss of motivation.
It has been a prevailing cause of morning headaches in a number of people.
Remedies for Headache on Waking Up when Insomnia –
Insomnia related headaches can be cured by curing the underlying cause of Insomnia.
Insomnia can be treated with good sleeping habits. You can do the following to improve your sleeping habits-
- Sleeping and waking up at the same time every day consistently
- Switching the gadgets(television, mobile, tablets, pads, etc) off at least 60 minutes prior to bedtime
- Keeping your bedroom free from any gadgets like television and laptop
- Reducing the intake of caffeine and alcohol especially closer to bedtime
- Avoiding large meals at night
- Making your bedroom comfortable for sleep
- Creating a bedtime ritual like taking a warm bath or listening to soothing music
- Read physical books (p.s. No kindles) before sleeping
- Avoid afternoon naps
- Keep yourself active throughout the day
- Practice light to moderate exercises
If the problem persists you should consider visiting a doctor.
8. Exploding Head Syndrome-
If you hear a loud imaginary crash or exploding sounds that others could not hear there are chances you might be facing an issue of exploding head syndrome.
It normally isn’t painful.
One might experience hearing different sounds such as fireworks, bomb exploding, gunshots, cymbals crashing, lightning strikes.
The exploding head syndrome is mostly experienced right before you fall asleep or at the time when you wake-up
The causes of exploding head syndrome is unknown. But researchers are of the opinion that it may be caused due to reasons such as-
- Minor seizures in the temporal lobe of the brain
- Stress or anxiety
- Sleep disorders
- Alcohol abuse
To name a few. The exploding head syndrome is more likely experienced by women over men.
It is also more common in people who are over 50 years of age and kids as young as 10 years.
9. Depression and anxiety-
Chronic morning headaches are frequently associated with depression and anxiety.
Research has proved that people suffering from depression are more likely to wake up with a chronic headache.
Mental health issues and morning headaches could affect the performance of a person throughout the day.
Consulting a doctor helps relieve depression anxiety and morning headaches.
Mild to moderate depression-related headaches could be treated by over the counter medicines.
Remedies for Headache and support from psychologists and psychiatrists can help in treating both depression and headaches.
10. Grinding your teeth–
Grinding your teeth in sleep is known as sleep bruxism. Tension is also related to the disorder.
It can cause a morning headache.
This also happen due to stress or other sleep conditions like sleep apnea.
The headache is generally dull in nature.
Remedies for Headache generally involves stress management techniques, mouth guard.
11. Hormonal Headaches-
Hormonal headaches are generally experienced by women due to changes in hormones.
The female hormone estrogen is a major cause of headaches in women.
The headache may be experienced in different phases like-
- Menstrual cycle headache also called PMS headache it may feel like a normal migraine it might be in addition to symptoms such as fatigue, acne, joint pain constipation.
- It happens as the estrogen and progesterone levels dip just before the menstrual cycle begins.
- Pregnancy headaches are experienced by women in their first trimester
- Women suffer from morning headaches in the perimenopausal phase it mostly gets better with menopause.
When do I need to Consult a Doctor when I have Headache?
If you experience the following symptoms and conditions you should consult a doctor-
- When you experience two or more headaches in a week
- When your headache disturbs your normal routine and you can’t perform your normal functions properly
- In the case of children, if there is a chronic headache, you should see a doctor
- If your headache is accompanied with other symptoms such as nausea, blurred vision, fever or any other symptoms
- If the pain persists or gets worse over time
- There is a change in the pattern of headache or the severity of headache increases
- Seizures or feel short of breath
- New or recurring headaches
- Headache with loss of sensation and body aches
Causes of Headache on Waking Up
1. The hangover from Headache on Waking Up–
The aftereffects of a little too much alcoholic drink is called a hangover.
After a night on the town when the content of alcohol in your blood drops to normal or close to it waking up to a mild to a severe headache is one of the symptoms of a hangover.
Couple of things can cause this.
However, the alcohol contains a chemical named ethanol,
When a person consumes alcohol his stomach absorbs at least 20% of ethanol while the remaining is absorbed by the small intestine.
Through the small intestine, it travels into the bloodstream and throughout the entire body and reaches the brain.
Ethanol’s effects quickly dehydrate you and headache is one of the many symptoms of dehydration faced due to excess alcohol.
Besides alcohol can also cause your blood vessels to expand which can lead to a headache.
Along with Remedies for Headache, you might experience following other symptoms of a hangover,
- Heavy thirst
- Dry mouth
- Poor sleep
- Rapid heartbeat
- Trembling or shaking
- Low mood
While there is no absolute cure for a hangover, one can reduce the symptoms by getting plenty of sleep.
Hydrating oneself by drinking a lot of water having nutritious food, and restoring electrolyte balance.
What Helps you with Reducing the Symptoms of Headache on Waking Up?
Following things can help you with reducing symptoms including waking to a headache-
1. Drinking enough water-
Due to excessive drinking body gets dehydrated, hence it is of utmost importance to rehydrate oneself by drinking enough water.
Nothing can beat a good old sleep. So for getting over a hangover a good amount of sleep is beneficial.
3. Eating fruits:
The fructose level in fruits helps bring down the alcohol levels. Hence eating fruits helps in getting over a hangover
4. Eating nutritious foods:
Healthy foods give body nutrients and antioxidants which helps in recovery
2. Sleep Apnea when Headache on Waking Up-
Sleep apnea is one of the serious sleep disorders where breathing repeatedly interrupts, it stops and starts in intervals.
The throat muscle collapses with sleep and interrupts the breathing pattern.
There are three types of sleep apnea-
Obstructive Sleep Apnea-
There are various types of sleep apnea but the most common one is obstructive sleep apnea.
In this type of apnea, your throat muscle irregularly relaxes and blocks your airway during sleep.
One of the important signs of obstructive sleep apnea is snoring.
Central Sleep Apnea-
In this type of apnea unlike the obstructive sleep apnea.
Your airway doesn’t get blocked but the brain misses signaling the muscle to breathe because of instability in the respiratory control center
Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome-
It occurs when a person has both Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Central Sleep Apnea.
Following are the various symptoms you might experience due to sleep apnea-
- The morning headache
- Dry mouth
- Waking up to pee.
- Night sweats
Remedies for Headache – Final Summary
Morning headache is a common problem faced by many people. It generally does not indicate any serious causes.
Most of them can be treated by over the counter medicines and the home remedies and tips and Remedies for Headache listed above.
But some headaches are associated with underlying causes such as Insomnia, Sleep apnea, Migraine, depression, and anxiety, etc.
If you experience frequent waves of morning headaches or there are chronic series of headaches or the pain persists even after trying Remedies for Headache.
You should visit a doctor as it may be due to the underlying cause and treating the underlying cause will prevent headaches.
You May Also Like
- 1200 Calorie Diet for Weight Loss – Guidelines and Preventive Measures
- Benefits of Ginger – 42 Healthy Ways to Use this Herb
- Calories for Weight Loss with Calorie Calculator
- Benefits of Intermittent Fasting – Beginners Guide
- Benefits of Keto Diet – 21 Amazing Ways
- 16/8 Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss
- Benefits of Water Fasting – The Cheapest Weight Loss Program
- Diabetes diet for Type 2 – Foods to Eat & Foods to Avoid
- 1200 Calorie Diet Plan to Lose Weight
- Diabetes Diet Plan – The Healthy Way of Living
- 1600 Calorie Diet Plan for Weight Loss
- Diet for Liver Cirrhosis with Signs, Prevention and Treatment
- Diet for Liver Health and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver
- Acid Reflux Diet and Foods to Avoid to Get Permanent Relief
- Diet for Parkinsons Disease – Food Habits, Causes, and Prevention Tips
- Diet for PCOS – Foods to Eat and Avoid for Better Health
- Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar – 67 Amazing Ways
- Diet for Prediabetes – Guidelines and Precautions
- Diet for Pregnancy and Back Pain Relief Guide
- Diabetes Diet for Weight Loss Goals
- Diet for Type 1 Diabetes with Treatment Options and Preventions
- Diet for Weight Gain – Healthy and Effective Ways
- Diabetes Diet Planner – Guidelines and Meal Plans
- Diet for Weight Loss – Guidelines and Precautions
- Does Intermittent Fasting Work to Boost Immunity?
- Diet in Thyroid – What to Eat and What not to Eat
- Diet Plan for Diabetes – Guide, Food Lists, and Precautions
- Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help with Weight Loss?
- Diet to Lose Weight – Tips and Precautions
- Diet with Apple Cider Vinegar – Benefits, Right Methods, and Risk Factors
And Also You May Like
- Easy Ways for Weight Loss – The Best Diets
- Fruits for Keto Diet – 31 Nutrition Rich & Low Carb Options
- Gestational Diabetes Diet with Causes, Risk Factor, Symptoms, and Tips
- Ginger Tea Benefits – Why Is It Good For You?
- High Cholesterol Diet, Treatment and Prevention
- Home Remedies for Bacterial Vaginosis
- Home Remedies for Yeast Infection
- How Does the Keto Diet Works – The Beginners Guide
- How to Get Rid of Lower Belly Fat
- Hypothyroidism Diet – Guide and Prevention Strategies
- Intermittent Fasting for Beginners – Benefits, Methods, Side Effects
- Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss
- Side Effects of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
- Intermittent Fasting for Women and its Health Benefits
- Intermittent Fasting with Keto Diet
- Is a Keto Diet Healthy for Weight Loss
- Is a Vegan Diet Healthy Alternative?
- Intermittent Fasting Weight Loss Diet – 6 Different Types
- Is Intermittent Fasting Healthy for you
- Is the keto diet safe?
- No Carb Diet: Benefits, Instructions, and Demerits
- Remedies for Headache and Prevention Tips
- Side Effects of Diabetes and Prevention Tips
- Side Effects of Sleep Deprivation with Prevention Tips
- Recipes for Diabetes Diet – Guidelines and Preventive Measures
- Side Effects of the Keto Diet with Prevention Tips
- Sleep and Weight Loss – How They are Related?
- Sleeping Benefits for Health – 20 Effective Advantages
- Strength Training for Runners – The Ultimate Guide
- The Egg Diet for Weight Loss – Guidelines and Drawbacks
- Tips for Intermittent Fasting in Weight Loss
- Tips in Weight Loss – The Ultimate Guide
- Types of Diet – Advantages and Drawbacks
- Vegan Diet For Weight Loss and Overall Immunity
- Water Fasting for Weight Loss – Benefits, Diet Plan and its Side Effects
- Weight Loss Meal Plan with Veg and Non-Veg Options
- Weight Loss with Calories Count- 17 Easy Way
- What is Keto Flu and How long Does it Last?
- What to eat on a Keto Diet for Optimum Health